Monday 22 July 2013

unknown magic
Chapter III - The great battle [part2]
Written by Tadi

I stepped out of the hotel in to the street and took a deep breath. I wanted to walk alone for a while so I left Lacey and Anna back in the room. I walked between buildings and through parks, each more beautiful than the other. I kept having this feeling of being watched and followed but I shook it off as I took in all the beauty of the world. I sat on a bench in a park and watched people walking by, kids laughing and playing on the swings. I've never been able to play like that. I had to grow up pretty quickly at the orphanage, you don’t have time to be a kid and to have fun. It’s hard growing up without parents; you have no one to talk with about your problems, no one to hug you when you feel sad. I can’t even imagine how great it must be to have your mother yell at you when you do something bad. It might seem funny but I’d rather have that over being locked up in an orphanage any day. I smiled as a little girl ran to her father and he picked her up and twirled her around. He put her down and she grabbed him by the hand and pulled him to the swings. I looked to my left and saw a little boy making tiny castles in the sand. Two women sat on the bench next to me. They were whispering about something and I looked away and focused on their voices while I pretended not to listen.

    “You heard what they've been saying about her, haven’t you?” said the older woman in a dark blue hat.
    “Yes, but I don’t reckon it’s true” said the other woman, slightly younger with shiny blond hair.
    “Of course it’s not. What would a witch be doing in Morburn?” I held my breath as I repeated her words in my head. A witch, an actual witch? That’s crazy, I thought to myself.
    “They say she’s supposedly been talking to the dead, showing people moments of the past and cursing them!” she said a little louder now. The other woman shushed her and sat closer to her.
    “They can’t be serious! There’s no such thing as a witch, Sybille” she said with a hint of mockery in her voice.
    “Now, now Mary. Just because you haven’t seen it doesn't mean it’s not true” said Sybille. Her hands shook as she placed it on Mary’s shoulder and continued “we must believe in the unbelievable” she whispered. I stopped listening as they continued chatting about the weather. If what they’re saying is true then maybe the witch could show me how my parents died. But what am I thinking. There’s no such thing as magic. Sybille’s words, we must believe in the unbelievable, rang through my head and I wondered just for a moment, what if it actually were true.

I stood up and walked away, quickly glancing back just to find them staring at me. Embarrassed I picked up my pace and quickly walked out of the park. I only slowed down when I was far away from it, away from all those judging eyes. Everywhere I looked people were looking down on me. Maybe the world is not what I’ve been told. The people certainly weren't what I expected them to be but who am I to judge. I walk around in ripped clothes feeling sorry for myself and running away from my problems instead of facing the mess I've made. For a second I thought if I’ve made a mistake by escaping from the orphanage but I quickly pushed the thought away. I needed to come up with a plan, just something to keep me going. I need to figure out what happened to my parents. The word witch rang in my ears and I knew exactly what to do. I’m going to see the witch, I said to myself. But then I remembered I don’t even know where to find her, I don’t even know where to look. She might not even be a real witch but maybe she’s really smart and she knows a lot and she can find a way to help me. I was filled with hope as I ran back to the hotel.

I pushed through the door and ran for the stairs wanting to get to the room as fast as I could to tell Lacey and Anna about my plan. But then I stopped. What was I thinking, this is not their fight and it’s not their journey. I need to do this by myself. But they won’t even let me go alone, so why bother. I started walking up the stairs again. What if they don’t want to go with me, I thought and stopped abruptly again. I walked back down the stairs. I heard someone clear their throat loudly and I turned around quickly to see who it was. The old man was sitting behind the desk, watching me curiously with an amused look in his eyes.

No comments:

Post a Comment