Friday 26 July 2013

unknown magic
Chapter IV - The warehouse [part1]
Written by Tadi   

    “I still don’t understand why you have to go with me” I said while Edith rummaged through her closet to find some clothes for me.
    “Because you won’t survive long without me” she said with a grin and threw me a pair of tight jeans and a tank top. She left the room as I changed my clothes. They fitted me perfectly and for the first time in my life I actually wore clothes that fit me and weren’t ripped or dirty. I don’t understand why they’re making such a big deal about all of this, I mean the creature is locked up, right? I looked myself over in the tall mirror next to the closet. I pulled my hair in to a high ponytail and walked to the bathroom. I looked through the cabinets and found a bottle of perfume named ‘man bait’. I laughed to myself as I sprayed some on me.

I left the room and walked outside in to the garden where Nathan was sitting on a bench. He looked lost in thought as he watched the birds fly from one branch to another. I quietly walked over and sat next to him. I crossed my legs and leaned to the side to look away from him. This caught his attention and he turned his head to look at me. I must have looked weird leaning there because he laughed at me and I quickly straightened myself.
    “I’m guessing you came here to get some answers?” he said as he looked away again to watch the birds.
    “Yes actually” I said with a serious tone.
    “Well tough luck because I’m not saying anything.” I stood up in annoyance and walked away not looking back. I grabbed my backpack of the floor and walked through the front door. I was walking along the path when I heard someone behind me. I stopped and turned around totally prepared to yell at Nathan for being an ass. But before me stood Edith with confusion all over her face.
    “Where are you going” she asked.
    “I’m not staying with you guys if I don’t get real answers” I almost yelled at her. I was furious. They didn’t tell me anything about what’s going on and then they expect me to just tag along with them and let them protect me from God knows what. I turned around again and continued walking. She caught up to me and walked along by my side.
    “Fine. What do you want to know?” I stopped and looked at her. My head was full of questions and I had a hard time choosing which one to ask.
    “You want to know about Nathan, right?” she said with a smile and I gave her a slight nod.
    “Okay, but you have to swear not to tell him anything” she said but then quickly continued “actually scratch that he probably already knows.”
    “What do you mean?”
    “He can read minds” she said and continued walking down the path, leaving me behind. I stood there for a while trying to wrap my head around it. Absentmindedly I started walking down the path after her. So he can read minds, how convenient. I’m going to have to make sure to leave my mind blank when he’s around. I walked to the front of the church where I found Edith sitting on the stairs looking down over the town. I sat next to her and looked at her. She smiled but it didn’t reach her eyes. She looked lost and sad.
    “Five years ago I was sitting in the church, praying” she laughed “and then all of a sudden the front doors closed. I tried opening them but they wouldn’t budge. I started smelling smoke and realised the church was on fire. I tried using my magic to get out but it was no use. You see, everyone’s powers are useless in the presence of God. You know, like the fact that demons get hurt by holly water. I was so scared, I tried so hard to get out but I couldn’t. The last thing I remember before passing out is seeing the doors flying open and then I woke up on the grass outside with Nathan leaning over me. He saved my life and in return I swore to never tell anyone about it” she wiped away a tear and smiled. I put my hand over her shoulder and pulled her closer like I used to do to Anna. The memory of her made my chest hurt so I pushed it away. She straightened up and looked at me.
    “Nathan is a demon. He told me today that he was at the orphanage guarding that filthy creature when he saw you. He felt something in you and it connected with him. It’s sort of like you two belong together. It’s hard to explain but I can feel it. When you two are together there’s this power that I can’t explain and when you’re apart it weakens but it’s still there and I know you feel this loss when he’s not around.” I couldn’t believe what she was saying. He was always there. The feeling of being followed and watched made sense now. But what power is she talking about? And although it pained me to admit it, I did feel stronger with him around and now that she mentioned it I could feel a pain in my stomach that I couldn’t quite explain.
    “But how do you explain the dreams?”
    “It’s called dream walking. He wanted to talk to you without freaking you out” she said and then laughed “but I’m guessing by the look on your face he did just the opposite.” His words, this is why I have to stay away from you, rang in my ears and I understood. He didn’t want to scare me, he just wanted to talk to me and I ran away from him like a little coward.
    “Don’t feel bad about it. He saved my life and even I hate him sometimes. He can be a real ass but I feel he really likes you” she said with a soft smile. Her eyes sparkled and I couldn’t help but return the smile.
    “Are there any other secrets of mine you’d like to tell her, witch?” said Nathan, walking up to us. I had to tilt my head back to look up at him as he smirked down at me. His strong physique made him frightening but his beautiful eyes were a whole other story. There was a hint of pain in them but when he looked at me it seemed to go away. Edith got up and playfully punched him in the shoulder but he didn’t move and kept staring at me.
    “Okay you two love birds it’s time to go” said Edith. I gave her the evil eye as I stood up and we walked together behind Nathan back to her house.

No comments:

Post a Comment