Friday 2 August 2013

unknown magic
Chapter VI - Finding home [part2]
Written by Tadi

I woke up to the delicious smell of pancakes and my stomach grumbled loudly. I pulled one of Nathan’s t-shirts on and walked downstairs to the kitchen. He was standing at the fridge leaning forward looking for something. I leaned over the counter and smiled but when he closed the fridge door my mouth flew open because I didn’t see who I wanted to see.
    “Well hello there” said Jack with a pan in his hand. I used my hands to pull down the t-shirt as far as I could and ran up the stairs. I closed the door and leaned against it, feeling my face burn from the embarrassment as I heard him laughing downstairs. I quickly dug through my bag and pulled out a pair of jeans. I pulled them on and walked back down to the kitchen. He had already prepared two plates on the table and a plate full of pancakes in the middle.
    “Nice t-shirt” he looked me over and smiled “Nathan’s favourite.” I sat down at the table and put a pancake on my plate. I spread jam all over it, rolled it and took a bite. It was delicious and it felt so good to eat real food instead of the weird things we ate at the orphanage.
    “Where’s Nathan?” I asked.
    “He went out” he said carefully and took a bite of his pancake.
    “Why are you here?”
    “Edith kind of threw me out” he said and scratched his neck.
    “What did you do?” I said a little harsher.
    “Nothing! I swear” he said and crossed his heart with his finger. He was probably just being a jerk like any other guy. I wonder if he even realises she likes him or if he likes her back. But that’s for them to figure out, I’m not going to meddle. And where did Nathan go? It must be something dangerous if he didn’t tell me anything about it. And then I remembered Asmoday.
    “Did he go talk to Asmoday?” I asked.
    “Look Ali, I honestly don’t know. Now let’s make the best of this day” he said and stood up. He threw himself on the couch and turned on the TV.
     “Yeah no, you relax and I’ll clean everything” I said and rolled my eyes. Of course he’ll make a mess and then not clean it up, what else did I expect? I carried the dishes to the sink and washed them. I thought about Nathan and wished I could read his mind so I could know where he is. I realised I don’t even have a phone to call anyone. I’d do anything to call Edith so I could talk to her for a bit, ask her if she knows where Nathan is. I walked over to Jack and threw a pillow at him.
     “I need your phone” he looked at me questioningly “I want to call Edith.” He dug it out of his pocket and handed it to me. I pushed a button and the screen came to life. It was huge and it had a touch screen. I looked through his contacts and pressed on Edith’s name. It rang as I walked up the stairs to the privacy of Nathan’s room.
     “What do you want?” she answered the phone furiously.
     “Uh… Hi Edith, it’s me, Alice”
     “Oh I’m sorry I thought it was Jack”
      “Well I wanted to talk to you so I used his phone”
      “He’s there?” I told her all about the awkward encounter we had this morning and she laughed. I asked her if she knew where Nathan went but she swore he told her nothing. I was beginning to get worried, would he leave without telling anyone where he’s going? Did he keep it to himself because he knew they’d tell me? We said goodbye and hung up. I scrolled through the rest of his contacts and stopped when I saw Nathan’s name. I thought about calling him but then decided not to. I didn’t want to be that clingy girlfriend that had to know where he was every second of the day. I was about to walk back down when the phone rang in my hand. I looked at the screen and it showed a picture of Nathan and his name at the bottom, I smiled and answered the phone.
     “Don’t worry Alice, I’m almost home” he said with a soft reassuring voice “and did you just call yourself my girlfriend?” he added with a chuckle. I could feel the heat rise to my cheeks as I heard him laugh. 

No comments:

Post a Comment