Friday 23 August 2013

unknown magic
Chapter VIII - Powers[part4]
Written by Tadi

    “They failed” said the fairy.
    “How?” said the demon in a low growl.
    “They were stronger than we expected.” I heard movement and I opened my eyes to look. I could see him clenching his fist and her taking a step back but I couldn’t hear them anymore, I lost the connection. I closed my eyes again and took a deep breath.
    “Calm down.”
    “Don’t tell me what to do.” I heard leaves rustle and I opened my eyes without thinking but this time I held the connection. He was standing right in front of her, he was strong and could easily crush her if he wanted to but he took a step back when she lifted her hand and it started glowing. Sparks flew out of her hand and he fell to his knees in front of her.
    “Do as I say” she said louder and he bowed his head. Her hand stopped glowing and he stood back up.
    “Leave” she said “now.” He turned around and walked back in to the dark forest on the other side from where I was standing. She took deep breaths before turning around and flying back to where she came from.


    “Where have you been?” Said Nathan as I walked up to them. They were sitting in the middle of the park, obviously waiting for me to return.
    “I needed a walk” is all I said. He raised his eyebrow at me and I knew he read my mind and knows that I’m hiding something from him. I sighed and sat down next to him on the bench. I told them everything, from what Rowena told me to the fairy and the demon in the forest. They listened without saying a word. They all just looked at each other when I finished, I could see the worried look on their faces and anger build inside me. I told them everything they wanted and they say nothing. That’s what they always do, keep things from me. The anger burned inside me as I looked at Nathan.
‘I should have been there.’ My mouth flew open as I realised what I had just done. Nathan turned his head to look at me, just as surprised as I was.
    “Did you just…”
    “Read your mind?” I said before he could finish “yeah.” Edith and Jack both looked confused from me to Nathan and I just smiled.
    “Great, now they’re finishing each other’s sentences” said Jack and rolled his eyes. I was still kind of in shock but it felt good to have power, to not be useless, to have a reason to live. The look on Nathan’s face was priceless and it made me smile. He was proud, confused and everything else. I realised that I don’t even know his powers, I only know that he can read minds and he’s obviously really strong and fast but what else can he do.
    “That’s pretty much it” he said and smiled.
    “I told you to stop that” I said, rolling my eyes. I turned around just in time to see the fairy I saw in the forest walk past us. Her long platinum hair put neatly in to a high ponytail, her silver eyes still glittering in the dusk. Her wings were big and pointy, the colour matched her eyes. She looked at me and narrowed her eyes. I watched her walk all the way out of the park and in to one of the little houses.
    “Come on” said Nathan, holding my hand and pulling me up after him.
    “That was her” I said.
    “I know.” He must have read my mind, of course. He guided me to one of the small houses and pulled me inside. He turned on the light and it illuminated a tiny room with a king sized bed and a small wardrobe. It had two more rooms, a kitchen and a bathroom. It wasn’t big but it was beautiful. I threw myself on the bed and watched Nathan walk in to the bathroom, smiling at me before closing the door. I stared at the celling and remembered doing the same thing at the orphanage but this time something was different, this time I was actually happy. Everything started getting darker and I couldn’t keep my eyes open. It was as if the darkness was pulling me in and I accepted it, gladly.

No comments:

Post a Comment